Mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food – I don’t think I know too many people who don’t love sitting down with a huge bowl of buttery mashed potatoes with a nice thick steak, or roast. Potatoes are actually one of my kids favorite side dishes.
Using your instant pot for side dishes is one of the advantages of having the appliance – when my instant pot is occupied (making yogurt) I feel lost – I rely on it so much for my dinner meals that I can’t bear to be without it.
One of the easiest things to make in the Instant Pot is mashed potatoes – while you can make mashed potatoes on the stove, it involves boiling potatoes.. with the Instant Pot, it’s nearly effortless. A little water, put the potatoes in, lid on and within minutes they are done.
No more standing over a hot stove for 20-25 minutes
We have a beautiful Rosemary bush in the front & backyard – if you don’t have one, I suggest picking one up – it keeps away pests when we enjoy time outside, and I can pull fresh rosemary off of it any time (just like this recipe above).
We make our own butter at home from raw heavy cream direct from the farm… which is full of flavor, and amazingly wonderful for you.
Can’t make your own butter? Pick up butter in your local store – avoid using anything less than butter (margarine).
- 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 C. chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 C. milk, preferably full fat
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- Optional: 1/4 C. sour cream
- Place the potatoes directly in your instant pot (no steamer basket needed) along with the chicken broth, garlic and rosemary.
- Place the lid on the instant Pot and close the valve. Set the timer on high (manual) for 8 minutes.
- At the completion of the 8 minutes, it will beep – release the pressure, and mash the potatoes.
- Add the milk, and butter – mix well, then add in the salt & pepper to taste.
- For presentation, you can use your KitchenAid and whip the potatoes until they are fluffy (though that is not required!)
- If you are using optional items like 1/4 C. sour cream, add in before serving.